(Note: This is our 400th post. Wow! Our birthday is coming up in November. Watch this space)
It may take a while before someone writes the definitive history of the rave/dance/club scene in Dublin. Until then, here’s some links to keep you busy:
– History of Dublin Clubbing, John Braineon, September 2000. Excellent overview covering the 1988 – 1990 Acid House period.
– Notes on an Irish disco landscape, Paul Tarpey, September 2008. Well researched piece that covers the Dance Club scene from the early 1970s to the late 1990s.
– Belfield’s 1980s Rave Scene, Sam McGrath, December 2009. While today Belfield is a vacuous musical wasteland of commercial electro-pop and RnB, in the late 1980s it enjoyed a healthy, organic dance scene.
– Legendary 695 (!) page ‘Asylum/Oldskool‘ thread on Boards.ie which is still going strong after five years.
– A more recent 12 page thread on the Bodytonic forum about the “History of rave/dance music culture in Ireland”.
– A 1,636 strong Facebook group dedicated to the “Old Skool Ravers” of Dublin. Heaps of pictures, youtube links and reminiscences.
– A fantastic resource of flyers from Irish dance clubs (1988 – 2008)
Sides D.C. (1986 – 1996)
The Asylum (1992 – July 1994)
The Olympic Ballroom (Raves; April 1990 – 1994)
The Ormond Multimedia Centre (Mid 1990s?)